Friday, August 6, 2021

Day 1 - The Nurburgring and the Crazies

After a 2 hour ride getting acquainted with the new motorcycle, through patches of sun and rain, I arrived to my hotel in Kaltenborn, about 7km from the ring.  This will be my base of operations for the weekend.

After a quick one hour nap to regain my steady pulse : ) ... headed to figure out how this whole Nurburgring thing works.  On my way there, stopped at Adenau for some pizza.  My body does not know what time it is. 

Once at the Nurburgring, to my surprise, it all fell very familiar. I guess race tracks around the world have a similar feel/vibe, rules, logistics, safety, etc. And, a lot of crazy looking people around.  Adrenaline does weird things to people : )

Decided to buy a card with 3 laps for tomorrow Saturday and then see how I feel about the whole thing.  I also talked to a professional race car driver that takes people around the track on a souped up 2021 Porsche GT3 for a hot lap.  I will probably succumb to the temptation and ride with him on Sunday.

After leaving the Nurburgring I figured I really had to get used to this motorcycle in time for tomorrow morning. So, I moved the ride mode from RAIN to DYNAMIC and the suspension to racing and went out for a spirited ride through the mountain around here.  The new tires have great grip and the motorcycle actually has a lot of power.  It also turns really fast so I had to get used to that.  Surprisingly nimble.

After my little riding headed back to the hotel to get the motorcycle ready for the morning. Removed all the panniers, removed the windshield (to eliminate the nasty buffeting), lowered tire pressures (36 and 32), cleaned visors ... getting excited already!

Tomorrow is Party Time!

 
My hotel in Kaltenborn (next to the Nurburgring) for the weekend

Almost there 

Finally here. 

The bier hall ... next to a race track ?!?

Strange people buying tickets

 
All kinds of cars in line to get on to the track - lots of Porsches!

A view of the electronically operated gates

Finally, a motorcycle rider in a sea of cars

What??!?  A camper?

21km of fun through the mountains!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Day 10 - Good Old Frankfurt

Today, I spent the day around Frankfurt's good old center.  With no motorcycle to get around on, I took the train.  I have always enjoye...