Monday, August 9, 2021

Day 4 - The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

 Woke up in the grand duchy of Luxembourg!  The French definitely know their food. The breakfast here was sooo good ... Germans still need to work at it.

After my great omelette, croissant and cappuccino breakfast feast, I headed out to explore the city.  First, the Casemates du Bock, miles of tunnels carved by the Spanish in 1600 inside the rocky walls around the city (closed because of Covid), then on to the Grand Ducal Palace, the Notre-Dame Cathedral (where I lit a candle for Pichicuaz (my grand baby)), and the high city.

The Grund (where I am staying) is the low part inside the carved walls of the city and the high area is where the rest of Luxembourg is. There is a nice elevator inside the rock walls that take you up and down (10+ stories high).   

This high part has a big pedestrian-only nice shopping, retail, and restaurant area where everybody congregates to socialize around the big plaza in the middle.  Outside the pedestrian area is were modern Luxembourg starts.  Tall glass buildings, very cosmopolitan - people from all nationalities walking in and out of very modern looking trains. 

Sat down at a restaurant in the plaza to watch people and to have the best salmon burger I have ever had, again the French and their food. 

In the afternoon, went to explore the Grund and all the ancient fortifications around the bottom part of the city.  There is a beautiful park there with nice landscaping where people chill, run, and ride bicycles by the river.

Tomorrow I head to Amsterdam with a stop for lunch in Maastricht. Over the years, I have tried to go to Holland 2 times and both trips were cancelled right before departure.  The third try is always the good one!

A nice view of the city

The Grand Ducal Palace

This is it - Congress!

Lit a candle for my new granddaughter at Notre Dame Cathedral

The main nave of the Cathedral

A view from the high part of the city

The big pedestrian area in the high city

My hotel built inside the walls of the Grund

Lunch time on the main plaza

Is this cool or what?

A view of the entrance to the Casemates du Bock on the walls 

A view back from one of the first fortifications


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Day 10 - Good Old Frankfurt

Today, I spent the day around Frankfurt's good old center.  With no motorcycle to get around on, I took the train.  I have always enjoye...